- 1 aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 green (bell) pepper
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 43 ml / 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 115 g / 4 oz / 1½ cups button (white) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 225 g / 8 oz / 2 cups cooked white long grain rice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 90 g / 3 1½ oz / scant 1½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 75 g / 3 oz / ¾ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp currants
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish. Cut the aubergine in half, through the stalk, and scoop out the flesh from each half, taking care not to pierce the skin, to leave two hollow “boats”. Dice the aubergine flesh. Cut the pepper in half lengthways and remove the covers and seeds.
- Cut off the tops from the tomatoes and hollow out the centers with a spoon. Chop the flesh and add it to the diced aubergine. Place the tomatoes upside down on kitchen paper to drain.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the aubergine halves and blanch for 3 minutes. Add the pepper halves to the boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes more. Drain the vegetables, then place, hollow side up, in the baking dish.
- Heat 30ml / 2 tbsp oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced aubergine and tomato mixture with the mushrooms and carrot. Cover, cook for 5 minutes until softened, then mix in the rice, dill, feta, pine nuts and currants. Season to taste.
- Divide the mixture among the vegetable shells, sprinkle with the remaining olive oil and bake for 20 minutes, until the topping has browned. Serve hot or cold.