SERVES FOUR TO SIX
- 1 small turnip, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 small parsnip, cut into large dice
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped or cut into chunks
- 1 garlic glove, finely chopped
- ¼ celeriac, diced
- 1 litre / 1¾ pints / 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 200 g / 7 oz spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
For the garnish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into slices
- 250 ml / 8 fl oz / 1 cup sour cream
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp fresh parsley and dill
- Put the turnip, carrots, parsnip, potato, onion, garlic, celeriac, and stock into a large pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
For the best results, use a really good quality vegetable stock.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the spinach is tender but still green and leafy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the dill into the soup, then ladle into warm bowls and serve garnished with egg, lemon, sour cream, and a sprinkling of parsley and dill.