- 250 g / 9 oz dried ramen noodles
For the soup stock
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 6 cm / 2½ in fresh root ginger, quartered
- raw bones from 2 chickens, washed
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg shell
- 120 ml / 4 fl oz / ½ cup sake
- 90 ml / 6 tbsp miso (any color)
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp shoyu
For the topping
- 115 g / 4 oz / pork belly (side)
- 5 cm / 2 in carrot
- 12 mangetouts (snow peas)
- 8 baby corn cobs
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 dried red chili, seeded and crushed
- 225 g / 8 oz / 1 cup beansrouts
- 2 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- chili oil
- To make the soup stock, bruise the spring onions and ginger by hitting with a rolling pin. Boil 1.5 litres / 2½ pints / 6¼ cups water in a heavy pan, add the bones, and cook until the meat changes color. Discard the water and wash the bones under running water.
- Wash the pan and boil 2 litres / 3½ pints / 9 cups water, then add the bones and other stock ingredients except for the miso and shoyu. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 2 hours skimming any scum off. Strain into a bowl through a muslin- (cheesecloth-) lined sieve, which will take about 1-2 hours. Do not squeeze the muslin.
- Cut the pork into 5 mm / ¼ in slices. Peel and halve the carrot lengthways then cut into 3 mm / 1/8 in thick, 5 cm / 2 in long slices. Boil the carrots, mangetouts and corn for 3 minutes in water. Drain.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok and cook the pork slices and chili. When the color of the meat has changed, add the beansprouts. Reduce the heat to medium and add 1 litre / 1¾ pints / 4 cups soup stock. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Scoop 60 ml / 4 tbsp soup stock from the wok and mix well with the miso and shoyu in a bowl. Stir back into the soup. Reduce the heat to low.
- Bring 2 litres / 3½ pints / 9 cups water to the boil. Cook the noodles until just soft, following the instructions on the packet. Stir constantly. If the water bubbles up, pour in 50 ml / 2 ft oz / 1.4 cup cold water. Drain well and divide among four bowls.
- Pour the hot soup on to the noodles and heap the beansprouts and pork on top. Add the carrot, mangetouts, and corn. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve with garlic and chili oil.