- 4 whole gem squashes
- 225 g / 8 oz / 2 cups cooked white long grain rice
- 75 g / 3 oz / 1½ cups sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 50 g / 2 oz / ½ cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp soft goat’s cheese
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves, plus fresh basil sprigs, to serve
- yogurt and mint dressing or green salad, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4. Using a sharp knife, trim away the base of each gem squash and then slice off the tops. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Mix the rice, tomatoes, olives, cheese, half the olive oil, and basil in a bowl.
- Oil a shallow ovenproof dish with the remaining oil, just large enough to hold the squash side by side. Divide the rice mixture among the squash and place them in the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45-50 minutes, until the squash is tender when pierced with the point of a sharp knife or skewer. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve with a yogurt and mint dressing or with a green salad if you like.