- 3 red snapper fillets
- 90 g / 3½ oz / ½ cup long grain white rice
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 ml / 1 tsp ground achiote seed (annatto powder)
- 1 pastilla or similar dried chilli, seeded and ground
- 75 g / 3 oz / ¾ cup slivered almonds
- 200 g / 7 oz can chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
- 150 g / 5 oz / 1¼ cups grated Monterey Jack or mild Cheddar cheese
- 8x20 cm / 8 in wheat flour tortillas
- fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish
- lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat the grill (broiler). Grill (broil) the fish on an oiled rack for about 5 minutes, turning once. When cool, skin and flake the flesh into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, put the rice in a pan, cover with cold water, cover and bring to the boil. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft and translucent. Stir in the ground achiote (annatto powder) and the chilli and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir well, then stir in the fish and almonds. Add the tomatoes with their juice. Cook over a medium heat until the juice is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir in the cheese and remove from the heat. Warm the tortillas.
- Divide the filling among the tortillas, placing it in the centre if each. Fold in the sides, then the top and bottom to make neat parcels. Garnish with fresh flat leaf parsley and serve with lime wedges if you like. A green salad makes a good accompaniment.