- 30 ml / 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 25 g / 1 oz / 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 175 g / 6 oz / 2½ cups button (white) mushrooms, sliced
- 225 g / 1 oz / generous 1 cup basmati rice, soaked
- 5 ml / 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- good pinch of garam masala
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the shallots, garlic, and cardamom pods over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the shallots have softened and are beginning to brown.
- Add the ghee or butter. When it has melted, add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the rice, ginger, and garam masala. Stir-fry over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, then stir in 450 ml / ¾ pint / scant 2 cups water and a little salt. Bring to the boil, then cover tightly and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the heat. Leave to stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Add the chopped coriander and gently fork it through the rice. Spoon into a warm serving bowl and serve immediately.