SERVES THREE TO FOUR
- 450 g / 1 lb fillet (tenderloin) of beef or rump (round) steak, in a single piece
- sesame oil, for frying
For the marinade
- 150 ml / ¼ pint / ⅔ cup dark soy sauce
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp sake or dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove, cut into thin slivers
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp sugar
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp crushed roasted sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions (scallions), cut into long lengths
- salt and ground black pepper
- Put the meat into the freezer until it is firm enough to slice very thinly and evenly. Arrange the slices of beef on a shallow glass dish.
- Make the marinade. Mix the soy sauce, oil, sake or wine, garlic, sugar and sesame seeds in a bowl and add the spring onions. Season to taste.
- Pour the marinade over the slices of beef and mix well. Cover the dish and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill for at least 3 hour or overnight.
- Heat the merest slick of oil in a heavy, ridged griddle pan. Drain the beef slices and cook over a high heat for a few seconds, turning once, then serve.