- 675 g / 1½ lb small fresh clams
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp anchovy paste, or 4 drained canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 400 g / 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml/ 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 450 g / 1 lb linguine
- salt and ground black pepper
- Wash and scrub the clams, then put them in a large pan. Cover the pan and place it over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until all the clams have opened. Discard any that remain closed. Strain the clams, reserving the juices. If you like, shell the clams.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic, and cook gently for 2 minutes, until lightly colored. Stir in the anchovy paste or chopped fillets, then the tomatoes and the reserved clam juices. Add the parsley, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the sauce is well reduced and full of flavor. Season to taste.
- Cook the linguine in plenty of lightly salted, boiling water until just tender. Drain the pasta, then tip it back into the pan. Add the clams to the tomato and anchovy sauce, mix together well, then pour the sauce over the linguine and toss until the pasta is well coated. Serve immediately.