- 8 chicken thighs with skin, boned
- 8 large, thick spring onions (scallions), trimmed
For the yakitori sauces into
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp sake
- 75 ml / 5 tbsp shoyu
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp mirin
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- shichimi togarashi, sansho, or lemon wedges
- First, make the yakitori sauce. Mix all the ingredients together in a small pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Cut the chicken into 2.5 cm / 1 in cubes with a sharp knife. Cut the spring onions into 2.5 cm / 1 in long sticks.
- To grill (broil), preheat the grill (broiler) to high. Oil the wire rack and spread out the chicken cubes on it. Grill both sides of the chicken until the juices run, then dip the pieces in the sauce and put back on the rack. Grill for 30 seconds on each side, repeating the dipping process twice more.
- Set aside and keep warm. Gently grill the spring onions until soft and slightly brown outside. Do not dip. Thread about four pieces of chicken and three spring onion pieces on to each of eight bamboo skewers.
- Alternatively, to cook on a barbecue, soak eight bamboo skewers overnight in water. This prevents the skewers from burning. Prepare the barbecue. Thread the chicken and spring onion pieces on to skewers, as above. Place the sauce in a small bowl.
- Cook the skewered chicken o the barbecue. Keep the skewer handles away from the fire, turning them frequently until the juices start to run. Brush the chicken with sauce. Return to the coals and repeat this process twice more until the chicken is well cooked.
- Arrange the skewers on a platter of individual plates and serve sprinkled with shichimi togarashi or sansho, or accompanied by lemon wedges.