- 2 large, long aubergines (eggplant)
- 225 g / 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 ml / 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the garnish
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp roasted pine nuts
- torn basil leaves
- Remove and discard the stalks from the aubergines and cut them lengthways into thin slices – the aim is to get 16 slices in total (disregarding the first and last slices), each about 5 mm / ¼ in thick.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the aubergine slices for about 2 minutes, until just softened. Drain, then dry on kitchen paper.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into eight slices. Cut each tomato into eight slices, not counting the first and last slices.
- Place two aubergine slices on a baking sheet in a cross. Place a tomato slice in the centre, season, then add a basil leaf, followed by a slice of mozzarella, a basil leaf, a tomato slice, and more seasoning.
- Fold the ends of the aubergine slices around the filling to make a neat parcel. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to make eight parcels. Chill for about 20 minutes. Preheat the grill (broiler).
- To make the tomato dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- Brush the parcels with the oil and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden. Serve with the dressing, sprinkled with pine nuts and basil.